Redgate Smithy Bed and Breakfast
EXPLOREGARDENBIRDSHISTORYGOLITHABODMIN MOORMININGWALKINGCYCLINGRIDE & BOATVIDEOS

History

Redgate Smithy was originally built in the early 1800s, and was still a working Blacksmiths even into the 1960s. Trade moved, as with many smithies, from wrought iron work, cart fittings, shoeing horses - and in this area likely some work for the local copper mines (such as the Wheal Victoria Copper Mine down at Golitha Falls) - and onto agricultural machinery, tractors, ploughs, combines and the like. Much like the old coach makers moved from horse-drawn coaches to cars.


The smithy and shop as it was seen from an aerial photograph taken in 1965
(supplied by Skyviews Aerial Archive)

We are still trying to trace the rest of the history of Redgate Smithy, and the picture is building all the time. The last Blacksmith here, who was more of an Agricultural Engineer (as machinery played more and more of a part in rural life), was Ivor Pengelly, husband of Ellen Pengelly. John Trevillian was the sitting tenant and Blacksmith who originally bought Redgate Smithy from the Treworgey Estate in 1927. He died in 1959, and was the father of Ellen Pengelly. Before John Trevillion came to Redgate as the Blacksmith, the Smith who worked here (and was presumably the tenant of the Treworgey Estate who lived here) was Sam or Samp Wilton. Sam Wilton, from the 1901 census, was aged 65 at that time.

Unfortunately, records relating directly to Redgate Smithy prior to 1927 were destroyed in a fire at Treworgey Manor some time ago, but maps dated early in the 1800s show that there was certainly a building on the site of Redgate Smithy at that time. The smithy would have been among the first buildings in what is now the present hamlet, apart from the two farms that have given Redgate its name - these being Higher Redgate Farm just up the Minions road, and the closer Lower Redgate Farm that was originally opposite us, and is now a house. Both Higher Redgate Farm and Lower Redgate Farm are marked on the copy of the "New and Accurate Map of Cornwall" (by Thomas Martyn, 1748); displayed at Lanhydrock.

The picture below is thought to date from around 1910, but this is not confirmed...

Redgate Smithy, circa 1910
Redgate Smithy (c.1910)
Redgate Smithy as it is now as a B&B

...and as a comparison, Redgate Smithy in 2004   

 

The photo below is of an old smithy (as depicted in
the Charlestown Shipwreck and Heritage Centre); and as the
scene would likely have been witnessed during the 19th century
inside the old smithy shop and forge at Redgate Smithy...

 

Smithy and Forge as it might have been
The Smithy and Forge

During the 1990's, Redgate Smithy was beautifully transformed into a fully restored and refurbished private house by the previous owners, and in 2004 we moved here ourselves, and further converted the property into Redgate Smithy B&B - a welcoming and friendly Four Star Bed and Breakfast...

Painting of Redgate Smithy by David Young
Redgate Smithy B&B in 2007 ~ as painted by local Redgate artist David Young
(see more of David's work on NB Illustrations website at David Young; together with Bev's work at Beverley Young)

Can you solve a puzzle?
Can you identify what this "Mystery Object" is (or was!) that we dug up
from the garden at Redgate Smithy?

MYSTERY OBJECT

A FREE bottle of wine if you get it right and stay with us!

For more information about our hamlet, see Redgate on PhotoFile Cornwall.

Redgate Smithy B&B     Redgate     St Cleer     Liskeard     Cornwall     PL14 6RU
Proprietors: Clive & Julie ffitch   ~   Telephone: +44 (0) 1579 321578   ~   Email: enquiries@redgatesmithy.co.uk

We are members of CoaST and support Green Tourism: read our Green Charter
For access information, please see our Access Statement
Site Map with alphabetical Contents. For other links, see Useful Information
All photographs are copyright of Clive ffitch, PhotoFile Cornwall; please contact PhotoFile Cornwall if you wish to
use any for publication or as website images; see Buy Images and Mounted Prints from PhotoFile Cornwall

Website design by: PhotoFile Webs

HOME       TOP       ABOUT B&B